One of the most common questions from dental assistants is about how to become an Expanded Functions Dental Assistant. Each state defines expanded functions differently. Some states use the EFDA credential, while other states might use a designation like Registered Dental Assistant in Expanded Functions (RDAEF), Expanded Duties Dental Assistant (EDDA) or DA II.


In many states, earning Certified Dental Assistant (CDA) certification through the Dental Assisting National Board, Inc. (DANB) meets requirements to earn an expanded functions credential. So, to learn more about dental assistant requirements, visit the Search-by-State page of DANB’s website.


DANB’s 2016 dental assisting salary survey identified some key findings about national certification and expanded functions credentials.



CDA certificants who hold an EFDA credential share many similarities with certificants who do not. For example, both groups have similar levels of education, years of experience, years with the same employer, and similar salaries.


But CDA certificants who also hold a state’s EFDA credential reported higher career satisfaction and were more likely to receive a raise. So, if your state offers an expanded functions credential, consider going for it!


If you’re already an EFDA, should you earn DANB certification? Survey says … YES! For example, holding a state expanded functions credential plus DANB certification can result in many career rewards, including a higher salary.


Check out the data below for more details!



Did any of this information surprise you?